reviews

Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Review: The Summer of Skinny Dipping by Amanda Howells


From Goodreads: Sometimes I still wake up shivering in the early hours of the morning, drowning in dreams of being out there in the ocean that summer, of looking up at the moon and feeling as invisible and free as a fish. But I'm jumping ahead, and to tell the story right I have to go back to the very beginning. To a place called Indigo Beach. To a boy with pale skin that glowed against the dark waves. To the start of something neither of us could have predicted, and which would mark us forever, making everything that came after and before seem like it belonged to another life.

My name is Mia Gordon: I was sixteen years old, and I remember everything.

I originally had no interest in reading this book.  It wasn't until a friend on Goodreads read it and praised it.  Because she said that it starts out slow, I knew not to give up on this one.  And I'm glad that I didn't.
There were a couple of things in this book that nagged me to no end ( ex: "but though..."), but I ended up really enjoying it.  The characters really grew on me after about the first hundred pages.  ( Except for Simon; I loved him from the moment we met. )  Corinne was a deeper character than I first pegged her to be.  By the end of the book, she was definitely one of my favorite characters of the book.
I would recommend this to any girl who loved a nerdy guy who is still so sure of himself and lovable.  Also for anyone who enjoys living in the moment.
Overall, though it took me a while to get in, The Summer of Skinny Dipping was a satisfying read.

Favorite line: " "Take me for instance," Simon continued.  "I see the light, and I just think it's beautiful.  And that's all there is for me.  Just the beauty of it.  You can't explain it scientifically, it just is - a beautiful, strange light." "

Three out of four stars.


3 comments:

  1. Yes, I agree 100%!
    the book ended up being much more deep than I would have thought,
    who could have imagined that with that title?

    Corinne was one of my fave characters too,
    she wasn't the mean airhead she appeared to be (:

    ReplyDelete
  2. Simon's quotes are epic btw.

    And now I'm sad.

    ReplyDelete
  3. @melannie skoob
    That's what I liked about her! And I know, I'm sad now too.

    ReplyDelete